Wednesday, July 13, 2011

EP Progress 12

This fortnight I've been working heavily on Track 4. Recorded a whole set of vocals, then deleted at least half. I'm back again to that horrible iterative process of trial and error until I hear something I really like. I was making good progress, but I decided that I didn't enjoy listening to the song. I think that's important. I could churn out a whole heap of songs easy, but I find I keep asking myself, 'why would anyone listen to this twice'? Once, sure, but twice means a whole lot more. 

I think asking these questions is healthy. It obviously means I'm producing less than I could, 3 songs in 10 months (sigh), but it's for the best. Otherwise I wouldn't be proud of what I'm doing. I need to be proud. 

The vocals are key to this track. I'm trying to make them dark and gritty without sounding cheezy. No easy task.

I'll just keep working on it. The new monitor speakers are helping.

That's all I've got to write right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment