Sunday, December 5, 2010

Post release thoughts

Ok, so DJ Ridonkulous was an interesting experiment. It's not the core stuff I want to be doing though. Even though I might pull some more comedy out of the bag at a later stage. I posed the idea of a YouTube video to my friends who are keen help. They came up with the idea of filming it near the docklands and finding some boats to get on etc.

I've certainly learnt lots of lessons already from the DJ Ridonkulous experiment. How not to mix a song for start. I've noticed as hear it played about that it sounds different on different speakers. I'm pretty sure that is a sign of a rushed job resulting in a poor mix. But hey, lesson learned. I can do better next time.

Returning to Ergo Alt material, I've been lost for ideas on what to do next. I have a few old songs I could pull out of the bag, but they aren't inspiring me. I need to feel inspired so it makes me want to work. So I've started working through some software tutorials from a Reason magazine I found. The tutorials run through details of the Reason instruments and how to make various interesting sounds. I'm copying what they instruct, but making my own music as I go. Hopefully it will result in a riff, or a tune, or something else that inspires me to keep working.

I really want to do something epic. Massively epic. You know, with like with different 'movements', and crazy sounds that turns heads, and then some massive orchestral sounds thrown in. I dunno. That's me throwing ideas around.

I'm also hoping that by creating music in 2-hour blocks, following the magazine, that this will get me in a habit of creating music this way so I can keep on doing it when I have a job. Oh yeah, so I'm still looking, I applied for a few. I'm literally out of money now, living on my credit card as well as generous donations from my parents. They're so supportive. Anyone else would think I'm nuts.

That's enough for today, back to my magazine and job hunting. No photo today. Someone should invent a thought visualiser. hmmm...

2 comments:

  1. For epic (at least the way you have defined it), check out the old Moody Blues song Question from the 1970s (and generally several other bands of that vintage when multiple movements in a song was more common) - the MBlues in particular were known for the classical training and thinking of their music as a composition reminiscent of classical composers and modernised for a 'live' sound. More recently, anything from Icelandic band Sigur Ros would also be worth a look for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll check out Moody Blues. Maybe they'll give me some ideas
    I love Sigur Ros so much. I saw them live here in Melbourne too, they were amazing.

    ReplyDelete