Sunday, March 20, 2011

EP Progress 7 and thoughts

I'm working on 3 new songs simultaneously now. Two will make it onto the free EP. Not sure which yet. They'll all very different from each other, just like my first 3 songs. I might end up finishing them all first, then deciding what 5 tracks work. We'll see. So many thoughts....

I was listening to some albums today, High Violet by The National, and King of Limbs by Radiohead. I was really struck by the 'maturity' of the music and lyrics. My music, in contrast, feels a little 'younger'. I was going to write 'juvenile' but that's the wrong word. I really admire maturity in music. It's hard. It requires patience. It requires restraint. Those qualities are particularly hard to induce as a new artist.

Restraint is a particular quality I'm interested in, particularly in the musical 'engineering' aspect. I don't have this ability yet. The ability to engineer a song to make it sound like it's holding back that little bit. Like it could explode at any moment. I've been mastering all my songs with an 8-band parallel compressor and tending to force frequencies through the speakers too much. I'm also having trouble allowing dominance of the vocal range frequencies (200-700 Hz). When I try re-mastering the EP before I release it, I'm gunna try restricting the music to this band, holding back on volume a bit, and allowing transients (~+1kHz) to define sonic space.

Enough jibber-jabber.

No comments:

Post a Comment